The Arbroath Cliffs Tour - 1
| 2 | 3
Cliffs: Steeple Rock
The top of the cliff path which leaves Arbroath's Victoria Park looks down on Steeple Rock. The rock can be reached by a wooden walkway at low tide. It has been suggested that the name is an anglicisation of the the Gaelic Seipeil, meaning chapel. The bay beside this shows traces of where red sandstone was quarried in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries and tracks of the cartwheels are still visible. The Stalactite Cave is nearby, reachable only at low tide. Despite its name there are no stalactites in either of its two galleries now. The 1904 Guide to the Cliffs by John Brodie mentions them and the fact that boys removed them. Another opening to this cave is accessible only from the sea and is known as the Horseshoe or Elephant's Foot.
Size: 709x467 (69 KB)
© Douglas MacKenzie
Click on the image above to view the full size image
Click on an image to view it in larger size