Hamburg in the 19th century
Hamburg's growth towards the end of the century was remarkable. The 1866 population of a quarter of a million had more than doubled by 1890.
Ships plied between Tayside and Hamburg most years during the 19th century and, in the 1890s, vessels of the Leith, Hull and Hamburg Steam Packet Company were frequent visitors to Dundee. The picture of barges on Hamburg's waterfront is from around 1910 and the postcard of the harbour is from around that date also.
A further link between Dundee and Hamburg is found in the McManus Galleries, the home of Dundee Museum. George Gilbert Scott's design for the building (1865-67), then the Albert Institute, was an adaptation of an earlier design for Hamburg's Town Hall.
Size: 800x510 (144 KB)
© Douglas MacKenzie
Click on the image above to view the full size image
Click on an image to view it in larger size
Search for voyages to Hamburg in the 19th century.