TAMH: Trading Ports
Stockholm in the 19th century
In the 19th century, the centre of Scottish mercantile influence had moved to Gothenburg as a result of its geographical importance during the Napoleonic blockade. The Keiller, Carnegie and Gibson families from Tayside all played major roles there.
The Peace of Nystad, the conclusion of the Great Northern War, in 1721 saw the end of Sweden as a great power and after the death of Charles XII put power into the hands of the nobles diminishing the importance of Stockholm as an administrative centre. It flourished again, briefly, after the coup of 1772 placed Gustav III on the throne but went into decline once more after his assassination in the Opera House in 1792 (the subject of Verdi's opera Un ballo in maschera).
In 1860, the opening of the railway link meant the city was no longer isolated in winter and, around the same time, city planning saw the building of many of the wide avenues characteristic of modern Stockholm. Despite the importance of Stockholm in trading with Dundee in the 17th century, it was only at the end of the 1800s when Stockholm became a maritime centre of world importance with 108 shipping lines registered there. Stadsgårds Quay was built in 1875, followed by Värtahamnen four years later. This growth continued up until the Second World War after which Stockholm's importance as a port, other than a ferry port, diminished.
Size: 487x338 (52 KB)
Click on the image above to view the full size image
Click on an image to view it in larger size
Search for voyages to Stockholm in the 19th century.