Memel in the 16th century
This was probably a fishing village at the mouth of the River Nemunas even before the Livonian Order, German crusaders, the Knights of the Sword, were 'invited' to Mazovia (modern north-central Poland) to keep the Prussians in order. The knights founded a fort here in conquered Prussian territory, called the Memelburg in 1252. This was transferred to the Teutonic Order in 1328 and remained in their hands until the 16th century. This was achieved only by struggle, with the town being destroyed several times in battles with the Lithuanians in the 13th and 14th centuries.
It flourished as a Hanseatic port during the period.
Search for voyages to Memel in the 16th century.