Bremen in the 19th century
Bremen only really appeared as a trading partner for the Tayside ports in the 1820s. This was a time of general expansion for the port of Bremen as it had been hampered by the fact that it lies 40 miles upstream from the mouth of the river Weser and the narrow and shallow estuary prevented larger vessels reaching the city. In 1830 the outport of Bremerhaven was opened to provide facilities for these larger vessels.
During the rest of the 19th century it became the main exit point for Central European emigrants leaving for North America and these ships brought back large amounts of cotton and tobacco.
Size: 680x454 (131 KB)
Click on the image above to view the full size image
Search for voyages to Bremen in the 19th century.